Field of Dimensions Official Forum
Welcome to the Field of Dimensions Forum! Obey the Rules!
Welcome to the Field of Dimensions Forum! Obey the Rules!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Field of Dimensions Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Moon [edited xpost from MCF]

Go down 
+2
Miner
tbh1138
6 posters
AuthorMessage
tbh1138
Warrior

Moon [edited xpost from MCF] Empty
PostSubject: Moon [edited xpost from MCF]   Moon [edited xpost from MCF] I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 8:16 pm

I know I posted this in the MCF thread, but how about a moon dimension? It would be made of moon rock, basalt, and regolith, which has a 1/500 chance of dropping an iron fragment once the boss has been defeated. Regolith is the moon's version of gravel, covering the surface as dirt does in the Overworld. Moon rock is similar to stone but drops itself, and it can be used in many of the same recipes as smooth stone. It also emits level 4 light. Basalt is just a damage value of stone. It can be found on the moon as remnants of ancient lava seas, filling deep craters like water does in the Overworld, and in patches in the Overworld under ocean biomes. It drops a darker version of cobblestone that can be smelted back into basalt. As a variant of stone, it can be used in all the same recipes as normal stone.

The lunar sky is always black, due to the lack of air which can kill you if you're not wearing an iron or diamond helmet. There is a day/night cycle on the moon, but it doesn't really affect much because there's no life other than the testificate explorers. The Overworld can be seen in the sky as a dark blue square near the sun, and every 8 days there is a lunar eclipse that occurs at the same time as new moon. During a lunar eclipse, the sun fails to illuminate the moon and a golden ring of light appears around the Overworld.

Backstory? Sure!

Some of the testificates were smarter than the rest. They occasionally wandered far from the villages in search of adventure. Eventually, the Explorers as they were called, began to group together. They began wearing exclusively green clothing as camouflage, to protect against anything that may be out there. The Explorers searched far and wide for other like-minded testificates, with whom they would continue their travels. They explored caves, along the way collecting coal, iron, gold, redstone, and diamonds. They began making their own tools and mining for more of the materials they found in the caves. Then they got lost.

After finding a cave through which they could reach the surface, the explorers found they had visited every place on the planet. They soon began thinking about where else they could go, if there really were other worlds to walk on. The explorers decided that since the stars looked too small to reach, and the sun was too hot to stand on, that the moon was their next destination. Trying to pillar-jump up there was too slow, and required a ridiculous amount of supplies, and they got too exhausted to continue when they passed the clouds. Using enough redstone and iron, they made it to the moon. The leftover redstone was used to make a device that would allow them to teleport between the overworld and the moon. It was designed to repair itself.

However, its repairs overcorrected for its flaws, and it started improving itself until it gained sentience. It also began to "improve the health" of the explorers, and during the operations it implanted redstone microdevices of its own design that allowed it to control them. The machine began building defenses, preparing for attacks by unaffected explorers, finally destroying the teleporters, whose destruction incinerated the dirt off the ground near them leaving the underlying rocks intact. It enslaved the remaining explorers and used them to attack anything that moved, and to mine everything that it needed to continue improving.

Steve, after receiving it as a mission, goes to the moon to free and rescue the enslaved explorers, the redstone chips having degraded their brains to the equivalent of a standard testificate. Meteors, launched into space by the machine's explosion, begin falling rarely every few nights after this.

Back to top Go down
Miner
Fortune Teller
Miner

PostSubject: Re: Moon [edited xpost from MCF]   Moon [edited xpost from MCF] I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 9:35 pm

tbh1138 wrote:
I know I posted this in the MCF thread, but how about a moon dimension? It would be made of moon rock, basalt, and regolith, which has a 1/500 chance of dropping an iron fragment once the boss has been defeated. Regolith is the moon's version of gravel, covering the surface as dirt does in the Overworld. Moon rock is similar to stone but drops itself, and it can be used in many of the same recipes as smooth stone. It also emits level 4 light. Basalt is just a damage value of stone. It can be found on the moon as remnants of ancient lava seas, filling deep craters like water does in the Overworld, and in patches in the Overworld under ocean biomes. It drops a darker version of cobblestone that can be smelted back into basalt. As a variant of stone, it can be used in all the same recipes as normal stone.

The lunar sky is always black, due to the lack of air which can kill you if you're not wearing an iron or diamond helmet. There is a day/night cycle on the moon, but it doesn't really affect much because there's no life other than the testificate explorers. The Overworld can be seen in the sky as a dark blue square near the sun, and every 8 days there is a lunar eclipse that occurs at the same time as new moon. During a lunar eclipse, the sun fails to illuminate the moon and a golden ring of light appears around the Overworld.

Backstory? Sure!

Some of the testificates were smarter than the rest. They occasionally wandered far from the villages in search of adventure. Eventually, the Explorers as they were called, began to group together. They began wearing exclusively green clothing as camouflage, to protect against anything that may be out there. The Explorers searched far and wide for other like-minded testificates, with whom they would continue their travels. They explored caves, along the way collecting coal, iron, gold, redstone, and diamonds. They began making their own tools and mining for more of the materials they found in the caves. Then they got lost.

After finding a cave through which they could reach the surface, the explorers found they had visited every place on the planet. They soon began thinking about where else they could go, if there really were other worlds to walk on. The explorers decided that since the stars looked too small to reach, and the sun was too hot to stand on, that the moon was their next destination. Trying to pillar-jump up there was too slow, and required a ridiculous amount of supplies, and they got too exhausted to continue when they passed the clouds. Using enough redstone and iron, they made it to the moon. The leftover redstone was used to make a device that would allow them to teleport between the overworld and the moon. It was designed to repair itself.

However, its repairs overcorrected for its flaws, and it started improving itself until it gained sentience. It also began to "improve the health" of the explorers, and during the operations it implanted redstone microdevices of its own design that allowed it to control them. The machine began building defenses, preparing for attacks by unaffected explorers, finally destroying the teleporters, whose destruction incinerated the dirt off the ground near them leaving the underlying rocks intact. It enslaved the remaining explorers and used them to attack anything that moved, and to mine everything that it needed to continue improving.

Steve, after receiving it as a mission, goes to the moon to free and rescue the enslaved explorers, the redstone chips having degraded their brains to the equivalent of a standard testificate. Meteors, launched into space by the machine's explosion, begin falling rarely every few nights after this.

Teh only problem with that is that our dimensions go in a matter were they are from the void. The moon is in the sky and it indicates when monsters come out. It really dosnt fit our Fictionary facts. (Is that a word)

P.S. No one ask what fictonary facts are, Use context clues.
Back to top Go down
tbh1138
Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Moon [edited xpost from MCF]   Moon [edited xpost from MCF] I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 10:09 pm

Miner wrote:
Teh only problem with that is that our dimensions go in a matter were they are from the void. The moon is in the sky
Last time I checked, there's a Void above the world as well as below it. The lower Void is everywhere below level 0, while the upper Void is everywhere above level 256. I'd say the upper Void is just as valid as the lower Void.
Back to top Go down
Miner
Fortune Teller
Miner

PostSubject: Re: Moon [edited xpost from MCF]   Moon [edited xpost from MCF] I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 10:42 pm

tbh1138 wrote:
Miner wrote:
Teh only problem with that is that our dimensions go in a matter were they are from the void. The moon is in the sky
Last time I checked, there's a Void above the world as well as below it. The lower Void is everywhere below level 0, while the upper Void is everywhere above level 256. I'd say the upper Void is just as valid as the lower Void.
Wered you hear that?
Back to top Go down
ALinkToTheFuture
Berserker
ALinkToTheFuture

PostSubject: Re: Moon [edited xpost from MCF]   Moon [edited xpost from MCF] I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 10:57 pm

Miner wrote:
tbh1138 wrote:
Miner wrote:
Wered you hear that?

The Nether. Above the Nether is the void
Back to top Go down
Miner
Fortune Teller
Miner

PostSubject: Re: Moon [edited xpost from MCF]   Moon [edited xpost from MCF] I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 11:03 pm

ALinkToTheFuture wrote:
Miner wrote:
tbh1138 wrote:
Miner wrote:
Wered you hear that?

The Nether. Above the Nether is the void
Thats the nether, Its under the overworld, It floats throgh the void
Back to top Go down
ALinkToTheFuture
Berserker
ALinkToTheFuture

PostSubject: Re: Moon [edited xpost from MCF]   Moon [edited xpost from MCF] I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 7:58 am

So does the moon at some point
Back to top Go down
Varrgie
Archmagus
Varrgie

PostSubject: Re: Moon [edited xpost from MCF]   Moon [edited xpost from MCF] I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 8:13 am

Maybe space is void, and the overworld is also floating through the void. Revelation... Super Happy
Back to top Go down
Miner
Fortune Teller
Miner

PostSubject: Re: Moon [edited xpost from MCF]   Moon [edited xpost from MCF] I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 9:59 am

Varrgie wrote:
Maybe space is void, and the overworld is also floating through the void. Revelation... Super Happy
Woah my head is bobling. The Wiki says:

The Void is the term given to the empty space beyond the generated boundaries of each map. It can be seen through gaps in the lowest layer of Bedrock on maps generated prior to the Halloween Update. Until a recent update, when lava generated on layer 2, the bedrock on layer 1 below it was replaced by smooth stone, making it possible to enter the void without mods. It can now only be entered if one uses a map editor or creative mode to make a hole in the bedrock layer at the bottom of the Overworld, at the lowest or highest layer in the Nether, or by jumping off of The End.
It is endless, however falling into the Void causes the player's health to be depleted by about 4 hearts per second, leading to the player's death in 2.5 seconds or less, should he or she drop. If mods are used to make the player invincible, he/she will fall indefinitely.
Entities (mobs and items, excluding the player) entering the Void will be deleted in the following tick (as soon as possible). However, as of the 1.1 update, mobs will fall through the Void until they reach Y=-64, at which point they receive the same damage as the player (4 hearts per second). Items will fall until they reach Y=-64 where they disappear.
Blocks cannot be built on the underside of the Bedrock layer, and although Water and Lava appear to flow into it, they will not actually spread and form beneath the lowest layer. This prevents players from descending into the Void safely via swimming.
There is currently a bug in SMP that will remove chunks client-side, so while the data is still there, the client cannot see it and will glitch if they step on it. This can be fixed by reconnecting or placing a torch next to the missing chunk. If you ride a Minecart into this missing chunk, and then you step out of the Minecart, you will fall to the void and die, regardless if you disconnect and reconnect.

So?
Back to top Go down
tbh1138
Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Moon [edited xpost from MCF]   Moon [edited xpost from MCF] I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 12:57 pm

Miner wrote:
Wered you hear that?
Minecraft Wiki wrote:

The Void is the term given to the empty space beyond the generated boundaries of each map.
The void is not just under the chunks. Exactly, the void is also above chunks(above the build limit), and this similarity can be noticed by looking at the debug window. When you travel under chunks, certain text will dissapear. This will also happen above chunks.
The upper Void just isn't as recognized as being a Void as the lower Void because it's a vast area of nothingness exactly where you'd expect one to be, in the sky.
Back to top Go down
tbh1138
Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Moon [edited xpost from MCF]   Moon [edited xpost from MCF] I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 1:21 pm

Just came up with a new idea for the Moon Boss. The machine eventually designed a humanoid body and abandoned its old giant machine form. It looks something like a scaled-up iron golem, with a different texture, flexible arms that can be extended to twice their normal length, and about the same health as the Enderdragon. It's very slow and takes damage from water, (short-circuiting the redstone) lava, (melting the iron) and TNT (because explosives). It is not affected by arrows, though swords can still hurt it.

Water on the moon, though, is very hard to keep in one place. During the day, it evaporates like it does in the Nether, and it freezes at night. Light sources other than glowstone, lamps, and redstone don't work at all because of the lack of air. The boss can break glowstone and lamps, so your only option if you want to kill it with water is to place the water at dawn or dusk. The day/night cycle on the moon is 8 times longer than the one in the Overworld, so you can't just spam water every 10 minutes and wait for the robot to die.

TNT also requires redstone to light, as flint and steel can't ignite the fuse in the vacuum.

Lava doesn't slow the robot down at all, and ASAP it'll usually spray liquid nitrogen at it (just a particle effect. I'm thinking something like pale lavender falling smoke.) to cool it into either obsidian or basalt.
Back to top Go down
Miner
Fortune Teller
Miner

PostSubject: Re: Moon [edited xpost from MCF]   Moon [edited xpost from MCF] I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 2:37 pm

tbh1138 wrote:
Just came up with a new idea for the Moon Boss. The machine eventually designed a humanoid body and abandoned its old giant machine form. It looks something like a scaled-up iron golem, with a different texture, flexible arms that can be extended to twice their normal length, and about the same health as the Enderdragon. It's very slow and takes damage from water, (short-circuiting the redstone) lava, (melting the iron) and TNT (because explosives). It is not affected by arrows, though swords can still hurt it.

Water on the moon, though, is very hard to keep in one place. During the day, it evaporates like it does in the Nether, and it freezes at night. Light sources other than glowstone, lamps, and redstone don't work at all because of the lack of air. The boss can break glowstone and lamps, so your only option if you want to kill it with water is to place the water at dawn or dusk. The day/night cycle on the moon is 8 times longer than the one in the Overworld, so you can't just spam water every 10 minutes and wait for the robot to die.

TNT also requires redstone to light, as flint and steel can't ignite the fuse in the vacuum.

Lava doesn't slow the robot down at all, and ASAP it'll usually spray liquid nitrogen at it (just a particle effect. I'm thinking something like pale lavender falling smoke.) to cool it into either obsidian or basalt.
Dont we go the magic route? And not the Tech route? also The luiquid nitrogen sounds far feched
Back to top Go down
Varrgie
Archmagus
Varrgie

PostSubject: Re: Moon [edited xpost from MCF]   Moon [edited xpost from MCF] I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 5:41 pm

It could be a mech fueled by magic. alien
Back to top Go down
Loreguy
The Ancients
Loreguy

PostSubject: Re: Moon [edited xpost from MCF]   Moon [edited xpost from MCF] I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 7:40 pm

The world is not exclusively "Magic" or "Tech". It is a combination. Magitech, Tech, and Magic are separate things.
Magitech combines both elements, like the portals to the New Dimensions need Energy (Magitech) to teleport you.
Enchanting is straight up magic.
And then there are pistons, redstone contraptions, and such things which are Tech.
TBH, I have to say that your ideas are brilliant and very well thought out. One question though, what else can we call you apart from Tbh1138? For practical and fludity reasons.
Back to top Go down
https://fieldsofd.forumotion.com
Miner
Fortune Teller
Miner

PostSubject: Re: Moon [edited xpost from MCF]   Moon [edited xpost from MCF] I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 8:06 pm

Its strait up just sky TBH, Just... Sky. Space if you must call it.
Back to top Go down
PenitusVox
The Ancients
PenitusVox

PostSubject: Re: Moon [edited xpost from MCF]   Moon [edited xpost from MCF] I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 2:44 pm

If added, it begs the question of, are we actually travelling between dimensions, or just teleporting across Space / The Void? If so, should we change the name again?
Back to top Go down
Miner
Fortune Teller
Miner

PostSubject: Re: Moon [edited xpost from MCF]   Moon [edited xpost from MCF] I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 4:31 pm

PenitusVox wrote:
If added, it begs the question of, are we actually travelling between dimensions, or just teleporting across Space / The Void? If so, should we change the name again?
Going across space Neutral
Back to top Go down
Loreguy
The Ancients
Loreguy

PostSubject: Re: Moon [edited xpost from MCF]   Moon [edited xpost from MCF] I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 9:16 pm

Indeed, crossing space.
Back to top Go down
https://fieldsofd.forumotion.com
Miner
Fortune Teller
Miner

PostSubject: Re: Moon [edited xpost from MCF]   Moon [edited xpost from MCF] I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 9:32 pm

Loreguy wrote:
Indeed, crossing space.
Dead idea, Perhaps, or You bet ya?
Back to top Go down
Miner
Fortune Teller
Miner

PostSubject: Re: Moon [edited xpost from MCF]   Moon [edited xpost from MCF] I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 1:57 pm

This i think is a dead idea consedering there all ready is a moon mod, mars mod, Etc.
Back to top Go down
Varrgie
Archmagus
Varrgie

PostSubject: Re: Moon [edited xpost from MCF]   Moon [edited xpost from MCF] I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 1:58 am

I think this moon idea is more like something we could add to the overworld, maybe like a special biome. Maybe you could obtain an ore on the moon that can be crafted into a portal to another dimension?
Back to top Go down
Miner
Fortune Teller
Miner

PostSubject: Re: Moon [edited xpost from MCF]   Moon [edited xpost from MCF] I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 5:33 pm

Varrgie wrote:
I think this moon idea is more like something we could add to the overworld, maybe like a special biome. Maybe you could obtain an ore on the moon that can be crafted into a portal to another dimension?
chunks of moon turn into metorites
Back to top Go down
tbh1138
Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Moon [edited xpost from MCF]   Moon [edited xpost from MCF] I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 2:29 pm

Ok, how about this:
Instead of using a portal to go to the moon (since the testifexplorers' technology was destroyed) why not get there by flying with something from Skyr? When you get past y=250 in the Overworld, the sky starts to turn starry black, and past y=400 you're transported to the moon. Once you've been there, you can use selenetite to make teleporters. They work between dimensions, or between different places in a dimension.

Selenetite is a blue ore found in moon rock at about the same rarity as gold. It drops as a gem, and both the ore and the blocks glow at level 12. Redstone and iron are found more commonly than in the overworld, but only in basalt under maria (like an ocean biome but round). Their ore textures are changed with a damage value to blend in with the darker rock around them.

How do the teleporters know which one to send you to if there are more than two? I have two possible solutions. One is to use dyes to distinguish separate channels, with two teleporters of the same color being linked. The other is to choose the nearest teleporter and send you there.

Dimensions in the Void are considered extremely far from the overworld, while the moon is 400-600 blocks up. Void dimensions are relatively close to one another. In the Nether, the overworld is treated by the teleporters as being over 1 km away, while Gelidus Inferos, Gigas Silva, Skyr, and the End are 300, 400, 500, and 600 blocks away. If multiple teleporters are at exactly the same distance from the one you're using, it chooses one randomly.

Moon [edited xpost from MCF] VmWmS
(forgive my depiction of the other dimensions as planets. There really isn't any better way, and drawing them as layers would take longer)
Back to top Go down
PenitusVox
The Ancients
PenitusVox

PostSubject: Re: Moon [edited xpost from MCF]   Moon [edited xpost from MCF] I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 3:48 pm

tbh1138 wrote:

Instead of using a portal to go to the moon (since the testifexplorers' technology was destroyed) why not get there by flying with something from Skyr? When you get past y=250 in the Overworld, the sky starts to turn starry black, and past y=400 you're transported to the moon.
That sounds a lot more like an Easter Egg / Plug In.

Still trying to wrap my head around this.
Back to top Go down
tbh1138
Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Moon [edited xpost from MCF]   Moon [edited xpost from MCF] I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 6:09 pm

PenitusVox wrote:
That sounds a lot more like an Easter Egg / Plug In.

Still trying to wrap my head around this.
Not really an easter egg. Kill some mobs in Skyr and use the drops to craft some sort of flying thing that you equip by placing it in an armor slot. Then, later, you're told to go to the moon and bring the explorers to the overworld, but there's no portal you can build. Instead, you try TNT cannons or that flying thing you crafted. Flying up to y=400 on the moon will take you to the overworld in case you don't have a teleporter there already.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Moon [edited xpost from MCF]   Moon [edited xpost from MCF] I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Moon [edited xpost from MCF]
Page 1 of 1