Field of Dimensions Official Forum
Welcome to the Field of Dimensions Forum! Obey the Rules!
Welcome to the Field of Dimensions Forum! Obey the Rules!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Field of Dimensions Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Differences and Similarities

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
FireHawkDelta
Unknown

Differences and Similarities Empty
PostSubject: Differences and Similarities   Differences and Similarities I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 12:12 am

There are many differences between Fields of Dimensions and All Dem Dimensions, in some ways they're opposite. Here are some differences.

In FoD, the main adventure begins after the enderdragon is defeated, and the endermen become peaceful NPCs that help get the player started. In ADD, the enderdragon is the final boss, with two new forms and a huge buff, and the enders are the bringers of the apocalypse: the end in their name is very literal. In ADD, ender is like corruption, and there're more ender things than just endermen.

FoD is in development, and is currently expanding to have more dimensions. ADD already has a structure for its dimensions, with the five elements dimensions being main ones wiith bosses, and the others side dimensions accessed from the main dimension they're most closely related to.

FoD history is spread out and its villains are ancient. ADD history is mostly based on a single event: the ender invasion, when the enders came from the future and almost took over the multiverse.

Also, something worth noting is that both mods have a giant fire bird in the nether, but they're executed very differently. In FoD, a mini-boss in the nether is the phoenix. In ADD, the fire bird used to be the guardian of the nether, but was killed during the ender invasion. The guardian was protecting the nether stone(subject to change), a very powerful object and one of the "end keys." The pigmen took the nether stone and put it in the blaze serpent: a giant war machine. The blaze serpent was never used because they didn't have enough time. The blaze serpent is the ADD nether boss, obviously.

Ancient civilizations: men and pigmen. In FoD and ADD, respectively. In FoD, men are ancient and evolved into every race. In ADD, the pigmen had a golden empire spanning many dimensions, but they were defeated during the ender invasion and are doomed to slowly turn into zombies in the nether. The pigmen had very advanced technology, called blaze tech.

We both have a sky dimension. FoD has the Skyr, ADD has the Zenith. The Skyr is very underdeveloped and empty, because FoD is early in developement. The Zenith has an environment resembling northern europe, and its residents are the skyknights. The boss is the corrupt snow phoenix.

Both have a boss named the behemoth. The solution? The best option is to change both names to things completely different, and much more original.

In FoD blazes are mutants, in ADD blazes are robots.

There are probably errors in this, because I'm from ADD, and don't know everything about FoD. Please post if you found an error. Moderators can fix errors, of course.

Last edited by FireHawkDelta on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
PenitusVox
The Ancients
PenitusVox

PostSubject: Re: Differences and Similarities   Differences and Similarities I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 3:19 am

I'll let you change the OP if you find fit. I'll just state my thoughts.

FireHawkDelta wrote:
There are many differences between Fields of Dimensions and All Dem Dimensions, in some ways they're opposite. Here are some differences.

In FoD, the adventure begins after the enderdragon is defeated, and the endermen become peaceful NPCs that help get the player started. In ADD, the enderdragon is the final boss, with two new forms and a huge buff, and the enders are the bringers of the apocalypse: the end in their name is very literal. In ADD, ender is like corruption, and there're more ender things than just endermen.
The adventure in FoD technically starts when you first spawn- That being said, yes, most starts when you kill the dragon. We have a similar "corruption" idea, though ours is based off of Deploro. I'll come to that in a moment.

FoD is in development, and is currently expanding to have more dimensions. ADD already has a structure for its dimensions, with the five elements dimensions being main ones wiith bosses, and the others side dimensions accessed from the main dimension they're most closely related to.
Yes, true.

FoD history is in lore, and many things share no relations with each other. ADD history is mostly based on a single event: the ender invasion.
All our lore comes together in a big "multiversal story" spanning multiple, well, multiverses.

FoD currently has no final boss, so it has no main storyline. ADD has a final boss and four perquisite bosses.
Not true. We have Deploro, the equal and opposite reaction to the Creator. You also do have to defeat all the bosses to reach his "realm".

Also, something worth noting is that both mods have a giant, godly fire bird in the nether, but they're executed very differently. In FoD, the boss of the nether is the phoenix. In ADD, the fire bird used to be the guardian of the nether, but was killed during the ender invasion. The guardian was protecting the nether stone(subject to change), a very powerful object and one of the "end keys." The pigmen took the nether stone and put it in the blaze serpent: a giant war machine. The blaze serpent was never used because they didn't have enough time. The blaze serpent is the ADD nether boss, obviously.
Actually, the Phoenix is a mini-boss. Where did everyone see that its a boss?

Ancient civilizations: endermen and pigmen. In FoD and ADD, respectively. The endermen were under control of the enderdragon, freed when it's defeated in FoD. In ADD, the pigmen have an opposite fate, where they were defeated during the ender invasion and are doomed to slowly turn into zombies. The pigmen had very advanced technology, called blaze tech.
Our mod has one base ancient civilization: Man. They were then changed, when entering other dimensions, which were either farther from the light of the Creator, or were weak to Deploro's tampering.

We both have a sky dimension. FoD has the Skyr, ADD has the Zenith. The Skyr is very underdeveloped and empty, because FoD is early in developement. The Zenith has an environment resembling northern europe, and its residents are the skyknights. The boss is the corrupt snow phoenix.
Well, yes. As you said, we're early.

Both have a boss named the behemoth. The solution? The best option is to change both names to things completely different, and much more original.
Agreed, the name(s) need changing.

In FoD blazes are mutants, in ADD blazes are robots.
Never really thought of them as mutants before. I suppose you could call them that.

There are probably errors in this, because I'm from ADD, and don't know everything about FoD. Please post if you found an error. Moderators can fix errors, of course.
As I said, you can change your post if you see fit.
Back to top Go down
FireHawkDelta
Unknown

PostSubject: Re: Differences and Similarities   Differences and Similarities I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 10:00 am

Why is the edit box white? It wasn't when I posted the topic.
Back to top Go down
wekker
Unknown

PostSubject: Re: Differences and Similarities   Differences and Similarities I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 7:10 pm

FireHawkDelta wrote:
The guardian was protecting the nether stone(subject to change),
That is more agreed on than this;
The Zenith has an environment resembling northern europe,
Back to top Go down
PenitusVox
The Ancients
PenitusVox

PostSubject: Re: Differences and Similarities   Differences and Similarities I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 7:38 pm

Another difference would be that we at Field of Dimensions are going more towards the magic route, rather than tiers of tools that may or may not be unbalanced.

FireHawkDelta wrote:

I'm not sure.
Back to top Go down
Edo4-Cake
Unknown
Edo4-Cake

PostSubject: Re: Differences and Similarities   Differences and Similarities I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 4:16 am

PenitusVox wrote:
Another difference would be that we at Field of Dimensions are going more towards the magic route, rather than tiers of tools that may or may not be unbalanced.

FireHawkDelta wrote:

I'm not sure.

We are also using a lot magic while having basic technology and sometimes both at the same time.

We have pipes for very simple automation but they are made with a magical stone with the power of wind. We have Necromancy and Alchemy and they are quite magical things but we have a rather large line of Blaze tech with fancy redstone contraptions.

Our mod is a blend of magic and technology while yours is mainly magic. Nothing wrong with just magic, look at EE and Thaumcraft!
Back to top Go down
PenitusVox
The Ancients
PenitusVox

PostSubject: Re: Differences and Similarities   Differences and Similarities I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 12:37 pm

Edo4-Cake wrote:

We are also using a lot magic while having basic technology and sometimes both at the same time.

We have pipes for very simple automation but they are made with a magical stone with the power of wind. We have Necromancy and Alchemy and they are quite magical things but we have a rather large line of Blaze tech with fancy redstone contraptions.

Our mod is a blend of magic and technology while yours is mainly magic. Nothing wrong with just magic, look at EE and Thaumcraft!
Cool, cool.

Would you be able to explain your Necromancy? I tried looking at some threads on your forum and couldn't get a very clear picture.
Back to top Go down
Edo4-Cake
Unknown
Edo4-Cake

PostSubject: Re: Differences and Similarities   Differences and Similarities I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 4:46 am

PenitusVox wrote:
Edo4-Cake wrote:

Cool, cool.

Would you be able to explain your Necromancy? I tried looking at some threads on your forum and couldn't get a very clear picture.

We have not completely decided yet but so far we are going towards having a Necro table that lets you kind of craft mobs for items and EXP.

In the Kyther you can find fossil blocks that are the main resources for Necro but I think there are others.

You can summon tameable mobs, normal mobs and even a mini-boss with Necromancy. Hope this answered your question.
Back to top Go down
PenitusVox
The Ancients
PenitusVox

PostSubject: Re: Differences and Similarities   Differences and Similarities I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 1:43 am

Thank you, that cleared it up.
Back to top Go down
Savannah-man
Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Differences and Similarities   Differences and Similarities I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 2:31 pm

Another major difference I have spotted seems to be the portal network.

In ADD strongholds now lead to the overworld boss while the 4 main dimension (overworld, Nether, Zenith, Kyther) are all places you can start in. Our coder Pudelhund created a new system in which you create a nether portal in the overworld and you come out of an overworld portal in the nether (and so on for the other dimensions).

Currently in FOD you create a nether portal, then travel via a stronghold through to the Ender and then through a portal there into the skyr. Does it continue like that (each new dimensions leads to the next) or is the overworld the central system of the hub (like in the aether mod).

I would also like to note that our communities are both worlds apart. Let me say this first. Your forum looks fantastic and gives a real sense of professionalism. Our forum meanwhile is very plain.

--- In terms of members we have many but overall hard a core group of around 15 major contributors,
Spoiler:
a huge number of people who just posted a few words and that's it and an even large number who joined but posted nothing.

As a result we have a huge number of ideas and idea wise we only have a few sections needing more work (A large zenith mechanic, land mobs and npc's in the kyther and generated features/dungeons in the previous two and the Ender) but large amounts needing to be coded and textured (some of us are trying to learn code in Pudels absence while many more have tried modelling and texturing).

--- On the other hand you seem to have very few members and few posts. Maybe its just because you rely on the forum less. I have to admit that it is a bit worrying from my point of view. I think ADD will be a very strong mod as many of its things have been scrutinized my many people and improved for the better. With your mod however things seem to be more autonomous and less criticised which could result in a weaker mod idea wise.

Of course I must say that I don't know whether you have other alternatives to the forum for this kind of stuff and I would be interesting to know.

Another thing I would like to say is that your mod is going along well in terms of coding. Soon we will be 2 versions behind due to our main coders long and sad absence. You on the other hand have a 1.3 version with up to date textures. The only thing we have on you right now is that we have the new dimensions coded in and yours don't seem to be from what I have seen.

Anyway. I still hope for the best for both our mods and in the future I look forward to playing them both.

Back to top Go down
PenitusVox
The Ancients
PenitusVox

PostSubject: Re: Differences and Similarities   Differences and Similarities I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 6:59 pm

Savannah-man wrote:
Another major difference I have spotted seems to be the portal network.

In ADD strongholds now lead to the overworld boss while the 4 main dimension (overworld, Nether, Zenith, Kyther) are all places you can start in. Our coder Pudelhund created a new system in which you create a nether portal in the overworld and you come out of an overworld portal in the nether (and so on for the other dimensions).
Interesting.

Currently in FOD you create a nether portal, then travel via a stronghold through to the Ender and then through a portal there into the skyr. Does it continue like that (each new dimensions leads to the next) or is the overworld the central system of the hub (like in the aether mod).
The end is the center of our mod and as such, The End is the main Hub for teleportation. We use one portal for each dimension, which is changed using "artifacts" from other dimensions. We're trying to make the dimensions pretty free-roam, where you can go to any at any time, though there is a benefit to go to some before others. This is rather hard to do and suggestions would be appreciated. :3

I would also like to note that our communities are both worlds apart. Let me say this first. Your forum looks fantastic and gives a real sense of professionalism. Our forum meanwhile is very plain.
Thank you. Lore and I worked rather hard on it. Very Happy

--- In terms of members we have many but overall hard a core group of around 15 major contributors,
Spoiler:
a huge number of people who just posted a few words and that's it and an even large number who joined but posted nothing.

As a result we have a huge number of ideas and idea wise we only have a few sections needing more work (A large zenith mechanic, land mobs and npc's in the kyther and generated features/dungeons in the previous two and the Ender) but large amounts needing to be coded and textured (some of us are trying to learn code in Pudels absence while many more have tried modelling and texturing).

--- On the other hand you seem to have very few members and few posts. Maybe its just because you rely on the forum less. I have to admit that it is a bit worrying from my point of view. I think ADD will be a very strong mod as many of its things have been scrutinized my many people and improved for the better. With your mod however things seem to be more autonomous and less criticised which could result in a weaker mod idea wise.
Actually I rely on the forum pretty hard. However, people just seem to not want to come over here, for some reason. And I do agree, only a few sets of eyes on our mod could result in a mod that has a great base but failure product.

Of course I must say that I don't know whether you have other alternatives to the forum for this kind of stuff and I would be interesting to know.
We have live chats, the main team is on Skype and we use the Chatroll on our Blog.

Another thing I would like to say is that your mod is going along well in terms of coding. Soon we will be 2 versions behind due to our main coders long and sad absence. You on the other hand have a 1.3 version with up to date textures. The only thing we have on you right now is that we have the new dimensions coded in and yours don't seem to be from what I have seen.
Yeah, we're waiting until 1.4 to do some real hard coding to make sure the update doesn't break the mod. So far we're focusing on making mobs work right, making our "Ender Complex" spawn with the death of the Ender Dragon. Things like that. Its mostly "play time" right now. Smile

Anyway. I still hope for the best for both our mods and in the future I look forward to playing them both.
Agreed! And if any ideas are ever thrown out over there, might as well try sending them our way. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Differences and Similarities   Differences and Similarities I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Differences and Similarities
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Field of Dimensions Official Forum :: All Dem Dimensions: A.D.D. :: All Dem Dimensions: A.D.D.-
Jump to: